Sunday, October 18, 2015

Review: Wolf by Wolf



"She-wolf. An interesting choice."
"I didn't choose it," she told him. "It chose me."


Back in 1944, Yael was selected for an experiment in a Nazi camp. She received hundreds of injections to turn her into a perfect Aryan girl, and erase whatever Jewish traits she might have. The experiment left her physically transformed. But the memories of the camp and the loss of everyone she held dear left her traumatized. The only thing she could do after such tragic events was kill the Fuhrer.

Graudin did an incredible job at mixing both the past and the present (from 1944 to 1954). Yael might not make the sweetest decisions -- from kidnapping and usurping Adele Wolfe, a famous athlete, to putting Wolfe's family at risk -- just to join a race around the world and get closer to Hitler. But Yael remains nonetheless a brave female character. The other members of the race were well balanced. And a semi-love-triangle was formed. 

Prepare for a twist at the end.




Don't miss The Walled City also by Ryan Graudin 

2 comments:

  1. I've heard great things about Wolf by Wolf in the past month but I didn't actually know what it was about. I don't generally read books set during WWII but I love the mix of sci-fi and historical fiction here so I will definitely give it a go. Thanks for sharing :)

    Zareena @ The Slanted Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I get what you mean. But this isn't at all like Maus -- it's more about dealing with the aftermath of the Holocaust.

      Delete